Welcome to my blog!!!

Welcome to my blog!!!

Friday, June 11, 2010

Good Readers, Good Writers

In the story, “Good Readers, Good Writers”, the author Vladimir Nabokov believes that readers should develop certain skills to gain the best results of the written material. He says in order to be a good reader you cannot just read, but can only reread the material. For instance, my favorite author is Sidney Sheldon, and I have almost every book that he had written. I reread his books every few years, and each time I reread a book, I always find something new.
I also agree with Nabokov when he explains that your mind can only comprehend so much. Last fall semester I took an intensive reading course, and my instructor gave me advice for reading that I will always carry with me. She suggests underlining important points, and adding side notes while reading. There were numerous reading materials in her class, and this method helped me to differentiate between them. This helped me to become a much better reader. I am glad that I took her class before I took Introduction to Philosophy, which had endless reading material. This method works wonders. Especially for college students who are in multiple courses, or have reading assignments that do not interest them.
A good reader needs to be open-minded. When I read a book from an author other than Sidney Sheldon, I have to get into the text of the book, and not to expect what Sheldon has always given to me. This was not easy for me at all. It took research to find an author that interests me, Aimee Bender. She is fun, witty, and imaginative. I think it helps to be a good reader when you enjoy the author’s way of writing.

Here is one of the books that I read by Aimee Bender, titled The Girl in the Flammable Skirt




Here is a link that gives suggestions for good reading skills.

http://www.landmark.edu/institute/assistive_technology/reading_overview.html

No comments:

Post a Comment